Skip to main content

Etched Glass - Alice in Wonderland

This is the first thing I've posted on this blog that is not a card! So if your here for cards, please forgive me. I like to dabble in a little of this, and a little of that (craft/art stuff). The design I found online, it's from Alice in Wonderland (in case you've been living under a rock sense 1951, and YES it was THAT long ago, when the first Alice in Wonderland movie hit the theaters, and NO I wasn't around for it.) :-) I am however an Alice in Wonderland fanatic. As you'll see in future posts. Anyways onto my glass. I had already etched every other person in my family their very own mugs and glasses, but had yet to do one for myself, until I ran out of people to make them for. I purchased the glass at my local dollar store. The design I transferred into my Silhouette program, and traced it out. I then cut it from Oramask 813 Stencil Film. I purchased mine from https://expressionsvinyl.com/. I know I seem to bring them up a lot, sorry I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer. :-) Weeding for etching on glass is backwards from that you would do for adding the design onto anything else, like a sign. You remove the outline of the design, so then all you have is the negative spaces. You cut it down to size, and use transfer tape to lift the vinyl/stencil film from the backing. (You can also get this from expressionsvinyl.) Then you put the design onto your glass of choice, and remove the transfer tape, but not the design. You need to make sure that it is very secure to your glass (no little bubbles where the chemical can seep through. The chemical will etch anywhere that the glass is not protected by the stencil film.) Also before you add the design to your glass, be sure to clean your glass. I use rubbing alcohol. You don't want any oil from your finger prints on the glass, it would mess with the chemical. Alright your glass is clean, your design is cut, weeded, and transferred onto your glass, you have no bubbles, now onto the chemical. I use Armour Etch Cream, that you can purchase on Amazon, or most craft stores carry it. I apply it with an old paint brush in a light swirling motion. I let it sit for about four minutes, then swirl it around again, another couple minutes, and again with the swirling. I let it sit on my glasses a bit longer than the recommended time, this is just what's worked for me. After ten minutes or so I wash the glass off, first with just water, then with soap and water when the chemical is off the glass. I also remove the stencil film. After I wash I then dry the glass, it's onto the next step. If you wanted to, you can stop right there. The design is already etched into your glass, and you can see it, I just prefer it to stand out even more. Although with the next step you can no longer put your glass into the dish washer, it will HAVE to be hand washed. To add color I used Rub 'n Buff Wax Metallic Finish in Patina. This can also be found on Amazon, or your local craft store. I really do like this stuff, although you have to work fast. I use an old piece of soft cloth or paper towels and put a small amount on the design and rub it in quickly, then quickly rub off what doesn't go into the design. If it starts to dry on you, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove it from the glass. The more you buff this stuff, the more it shines. I've tried the silver, and gold colors and they are beautiful. The black one, I wasn't fond of.
I've never tried to explain how to do this process, so please forgive me if I didn't make much sense, I tried. There are lots of videos and articles out there on how to do this process. It sounds difficult, but I promise, It's not. I have tried using paint that is for glass (so it would be dishwasher safe) but have yet to find anything that worked the way I wanted it too. If you have found a different, and better approach, please let me know in the comments.  
***word of caution, use gloves with the armour etch, if you get it on your skin, it'll make you itch like crazy***.

Happy Crafting All!

~Chantel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Male Birthday Card

This card was made for a young man that I've never actually met. The young mans diagnosis is not a good one. He made a request to the public in our state, to receive birthday cards, LOTS of them for his birthday next month. Being that I don't actually know the young man, I just kinda had to guess what he would like. I figured motorcycles?? Doesn't all young men like motorcycles? I found the image on Google, printed it out on white cardstock. Cut it to size, and cut a piece of black card stock a little bit larger to put behind it. I attached it with foam tape. I colored it with Metallic Gel Pens. The Happy Birthday Sentiment is from a stamp. I stamped the saying then heat embossed it with white embossing powder, onto black cardstock. I cut it out using a pair of difficult to use scissors. I have no idea what they are called? They came in a bag, with about a dozen different ones, all of which are difficult to cut with. I have had them for probably about ten years thou...

No Worries Card

So shark week is coming to an end. It is something that myself and husband watch every year, and thoroughly enjoy. I found the above image on Pinterest and decided it would make a GREAT card to celebrate the end of shark week. I colored her in with Copics, Blick Studio Markers, and Gel Pens. I cut her out with a die I purchased from Wish.com, the flower is also a die from Wish.com. The papers, and sentiment came from Coastal Premium Stack cardstock. This is a beautiful pad of cardstock that I highly recommend. I purchased it at Michaels.  Copics were used on skin- E000, E00, E93 Happy Crafting ~Chantel~

Just For You Card - Santoro Gorjuss Stamps

This is another of my Santoro Gorjuss Stamps. I believe it is the Gave You My Heart, but I can't find the box it came in, so I'm not 100% sure, sorry. I just LOVE these Gorjuss stamps, they are adorable!!! I have tried many different ways of coloring them in, this one I used colored pencils. After I had her colored in, I cut her out by hand (razor blade). I attached her using foam tape, to give her more dimension.  I used scrap papers from my pile for the remainder of the card. For the sentiment I stamped it, then used gold embossing powder, and heat set it. I cut it out by hand as well (I didn't yet own a die cutter). I also used foam tape on the sentiment. The decorative papers I attached with double sided tape. I then finished it off with a thin piece of satin ribbon, and tied it in a bow. (Yea my bows need work) :-( Happy Crafting All! ~Chantel